vendredi 18 janvier 2008

Table Mountain

If there is a MUST in Cape Town, it is to climb Table Mountain. From far, it looks really beautiful. OK, there is a cable-car. Of course, I have to boast that it is made in Switzerland! But it is not a reason to make use of it...
From closer, it is already more challenging. And the name of the path is a bit scary: Skeleton Gorge. Some of my friends also advised me not to climb as a few tourists were attacked and robbed on the mountain. Climbing the mountain, we met a few guards. Since the first time I climbed Table Mountain, 16 years ago, it is the first time there are guards on the mountain. It did give a sense of security, but is it really a good sign ? The walk is so nice. There is quite a lot of shade provided by indigenous trees. And after around three hours of a good climb, we are at the top!The view is spectacular.But this time the highlight of the walk happened as we were coming down from the mountain. At one stage, I felt a presence behind me and automatically turned my head for a quick check. I thought: "hold on, this is not a dog following us". And I looked again: there was a baboon! Right there on our tracks! Well, I quickly moved to the side and the baboon - undisturbed - walked passed us. Further down, we caught with other climbers, who were as excited and scared as us. It was the talk of the day. A few days later, there was the whole story of "John Wayne" - the celebrity baboon in the local newspaper. But the story was so huge that it even made it in "The Independent", which i bought while on my London stopover.

Aucun commentaire: