jeudi 29 juillet 2010

Packing

And then it was time to pack things... actually to have things packed for me. That is the beauty of being sent abroad by the workplace. Anyway, it took just three hours for three men to pack all my belongings in these little boxes, including my big wooden giraffe. Is there a sign, here? At least, things in each box were neatly wrapped and each box was clearly labelled. Much more order than in real life, I would say.
Once everything was packed, it was time to load the container. A colleague of mine would laugh if she saw its name was "evergreen", especially in view of my not-so-perfect ecological track record. Then again, all my things did not even fill hald the container. Ok, maybe it is then a good sign that I am not yet half way through life. I think I would rather go for another explanation: I was very good at keeping only the necessary stuff and got rid of all the excess bagage. The container is now making its way to Hamburg, before being loaded on a ship to Norfolk. It should get there on August 14, quite a quick journey. Then, it will have to go through customs, and I hope my kudu horn will make it! So watch this space.
Then, it was time for me to leave Berne and catch a ride on the usual train to Geneva. The big flight will be on August 1, our "national day". As I told my colleagues, I am really the most patriotic swiss since my "national day" will not last for 24 hours, but for 30 hours. That gives time to sing the national anthem many more times... provided one knows it...

Aucun commentaire: