lundi 18 octobre 2010

Car - finally

One thing that I thought I knew was that America was the land of cars. So many road movies, so many famous firms, even a way of life. Yet my experience of it is definitely not that. Indeed, before coming to the USA, I bought a car (VW Rabbit) from a colleague and trusted that I would be able to drive it the next week-end. Well, I was all wrong - and by more than a mile! Here is what happened - hopefully you will not get bored while reading it...
On my very first week-end here, there I go for the first time to the Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV), after having read their requirements on the website, and asked to get temporary number plates. I was promptly told that this was not possible and that I would first need to get a local driver's licence. And there was a long list of requirements for that, including getting a social security number. A tad ironic in the land of free market (another symbol... or is it all what is left - a symbol). But a foreigner can only apply for a social security number 10 working days after having landed in the USA. And it takes another three weeks to receive it per post. So there flew a whole 5 weeks without being allowed to drive my own car.
In the meantime, I could happily drive a rented car !!! The international driver's licence is fine as long as it is not to drive your own car - how absurd !

There were other requirements clearly stated in three distinct categories: proof of identity, proof of residency and ability to drive. In the first category, on top of the passport, visas and work permit, I had to obtain a letter from the US Department of State stating that I did not qualify for a diplomatic immunity. I also got an insurance. Then I had to translate my swiss driver's licence into English and have it certified.

Once all this paperwork was done, I went to take my written test. I queued to get a numbered ticket and queued again until my number was called. The written test consisted of answering 25 questions on a computer. I could have taken the test in French, German or Spanish, or even Amarhic, Arabic, Japanese, Hindi and so on. Let me say that I passed the test and got the required 80 percent pass rate. Yes! There I got my credit-card format driver's licence and the temporary number plates.

Around a week later, I had to go to the vehicle inspection center to get my car certified. I had applied online for a 15-minute inspection slot. This went well, quickly and efficiently. Got the OK. But it was not the end of it.

I had to go - for the fourth time ! - to the DMV to get my definitive number plates. There again, I had to queue for around 3 hours. The reward was a nice number on my plate. But the bill to register my car was far less nice.

All in all, it took me two months, 4 visits to the DMV offices, approximately 10 hours of queing and costed almost 1000 dollars. Still, all ended well. What a relief to be finally able to drive my own car. Hope to make the most of it now!

Aucun commentaire: