vendredi 28 décembre 2007

Northern Cape

Of course, I had to stop to take this picture. My friend told me I was too "blog motivated". But I think this picture shows the diversity of South Africa, with the name of the province being spelled in the four official provincial languages. I must however say that I was surprised to experience how Afrikaans still is widely spoken in the villages, in the little towns, in the rural areas. There were many places where I could not even get a newspaper in English.

The other nice thing about this picture is that it shows the big open space and the harsh landscape. I like to travel on dirt roads in the heat. Nice feeling of freedom to be in the middle of nowhere.But the sea is always near. Very nice to cool down. And so popular. We took all our camping equipment to find out that the camping was fully booked for the next 12 nights! And by the sea, there is also an important bird colony. More than 15000 Cape garnets nidify here. The picture is nice, but you do not get the sound nor the smell. Lucky you.You probably notice that they all face the same direction. No, they are not oriented towards Mecca, rather they all face the wind. They can breath and cool down better. Ok, I have mentioned ''cooling down" again, so it is a signal that it is time for me to head for the pool. 35 degrees today.

Aucun commentaire: